Sunday 17 February 2013

Hello Kitty - Ballerina Cake



This is Anna’s 3rd Birthday Cake
Hello Kitty Ballerina
Since October (that is when her brother turned one and her interest in birthdays was reignited), she has asked me to make her a Hello Kitty Ballerina cake for her birthday in ‘fevurrarry’ :) I absolutely love making cakes and have a new found passion for decorating them. Since having my kiddies I have been given the opportunity to release these creative juices.  I have kept this simple and maintained that I would not make a cake that required me to copy a caricature. I believed that the pressure would be too great and if I missed the mark, it will look like a botched attempt. (I guess this just highlights a side of me I forget exists – I can be anally retentive. Anyhoo-hoo, despite my vow not to do a caricature, the request was made and I accepted. 

I was originally going to try and carve the Hello Kitty head and shape it myself, but Hugo (DH) suggested looking for a mould online. I am blessed to have a creative consultant (DH) living with me. I found one and I bought it.

I had to ‘think quick’ on the skirt plan. I had brought some fairy floss to make it with, but when I tested it on the morning, the sugar started to melt within 20mins of being exposed to the air. While tidying up the kids room I saw Anna’s feather bower, I was inspired and I hooked out a hand full to make the skirt! The rest was fairly straight forward. Almond MM’s for the eyes (brown ones painted black with food colouring), almond MM for the nose (bought a few packets to get the right shape and size.) Wand was a goodie bag gift from a friends party and the rest is really just rollout icing.  The big tip I would give to anyone who wants to give this ago, is to slice off the arm – decorate the whole cake, place the accessories and then replace the arm so that the skirt looks like it is continuous and that is because it really is.

Here are the cakes I made to support the Hello Kitty. As big as the Hello Kitty was, my chief potion controller (DH), advised we needed more cake to feed the party. He was right. 



We had an amazing afternoon at the creek – I wish our family from South Africa could have shared it with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment