Wednesday 20 February 2013

Food for Thought on Weigh-in Day



Today was weigh-in day for Week 2, Round 1 2013. I was looking forward to doing this weigh-in because I have a new set of Tanita Body Composition scales (one of my wonderful prizes I won in Round 4 2012) which I had not used yet. 

I set it up (i.e. put the batteries in and set the date and time, not all the other personal deets because I have not been on line to check out the Tanita manual), took off my PJ’s and jumped on. I could be forgiven for thinking that there was a problem with my new scales.  It was before 6am and I only had 7h and 12min sleep (according to my new Fitbit, another wonderful prize I won in Round 4 2012, will do a blog on that another time)...I was 1kg down.

I jumped onto my old Kmart scale and it revealed the same number. 

I jumped back on my new scale and the number was unchanged. 

I had lost 1kg in 1 week. This shocked me. 

Never before had I experienced such a dramatic loss in one week during my 12wbt journey (not even during the ‘Getting Ripped’ phase last round). I am supposed to be building muscle and supposed to even put on a bit of weight during this current phase of ‘Hard and Heavy’.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am not disappointed, I am fine with it, I don’t mind...I just wanted to know why? Why this week? If you read my last post JFDI - Good Vibes for Week 2, you will see that  the past weekend I had an icing blowout...something I can’t imagine assisting weight loss, butter cream icing to be exact. 

While I was driving into town this morning, I remembered that another one of my wonderful prizes was the Natures Way Figure protein shake, the Michelle Bridges one.  It states on the label that it  "trims and defines muscle tone", and Michelle is quoted "high protein, low carb".  I started using it last week Friday. Could this have made the difference to my weekly weigh-in?


The protein shake I have previously been using was the Instant Natural Protein from Nature's Way – I chose to use that one because; of the options at my local woollies, it was the one with the least ‘scientific-scary’ ingredients and seemed to have a high protein ratio per serve.  It tasted great and I have really enjoyed it – but perhaps it was also keeping me from any dramatic weight loss. 

This afternoon I took some time to compare the ingredients.  There is green tea in the Figure. So I read up on green tea. It definitely helps with energy expenditure and fat metabolism which means it assists weight loss. It is quite high caffeine.  The fat and energy per serve were similar in both but was astounding to see is that my original shale has 6.5 times more cabs than the Figure and the Figure also has 4.2g more protein per 100g than the original one.


I am considering stopping the Figure for now and sticking to the  Instant Natural Protein for these next muscle building 6 weeks and when it come to the getting ripped phase, I will pull out this 'uba' trimming shake.

Anyways, I thought this was rather interesting. 

BTW my body fat read 18.8% on my Kmart scale and as I have not properly set up my fancy new Tanita scale yet, I don’t know what it would say about that.  I will have to get it ready for next week’s weigh-in.




No comments:

Post a Comment